The first Rotary club in Lithuania was established on 15 October 1934 1934 in the Kaunas City Hall. F. Torval, A representative of Rotary International from Finland, handed Kaunas Rotary Club its charter – a document certifying international recognition – and the symbolic Rotary wooden hammer with a bell.
The silhouette of Kaunas City Hall therefore still adorns the emblem of Kaunas Rotary Club.
The daily newspaper “Lietuvos žinios” rightly announced that “Organised club for the development of humanity” was formed in Kaunas. It also underlined the following goals: to raise nation’s solidarity, to develop humanity, and to deepen society’s humanism. The motto of the club was taken from the Bible: “Do not do anything for others that you will not wish to be done for yourself”. In 1940 when the Soviet Union occupied Lithuania, the club was terminated.
The Rotary Club of Klaipėda was established on 15 July 1938. After only 11 months when Germany occupied the Klaipėda's region, the club was closed.
As clubs were shut down accross the country, many Rotarians emigrated to Western Europe or were deported to Siberia.
After Lithuania gained its independence the founding of Rotary clubs started. Lithuanian Rotary was part of the Finnish district at that time.
Rotary Lithuania was obstinately aiming at becoming independent district. Even Lithuania was supported by Rotary International, especially the Danish district 1460 and personally Carsten Leth, it was not easy to reach the goal – become an independent district. Finally, Lithuania becomes the independent district of Rotary International since July 1, 2014.
Anette Løwert, D–1460 Governor 2012–2013, has successfully completed the major and most important works and activities related to the formation of RI districts 1461 and 1462.
Today there are 52 Rotary clubs with 1 600 members, 11 Rotaract and 14 Interact clubs in Lithuania